The Australian star batsman Steve Smith cleared the second concussion test on Saturday and going to take part in the second ODI against England.
While Smith was practicing in the net for the first ODI match, the ball hit his head from a throw-down by a coaching staff member. This is the reason why Smith had been withdrawn from the match.
The 31-year-old Australian star Smith was withdrawn from the playing XI of the first ODI “as a precautionary measure.” However, Australia manages to win the match against England by 19 runs and leads the series by 1-0.
According to cricket.com.au, Smith has passed the two concussion tests, one on Friday and the other on Saturday, and will be available on the second ODI.
The Australian all-rounder Mitch Marsh said, “withdrawal of Smith was the good decision and there is no need to take unnecessary risks with head injuries.”
Mitch Marsh also added that “It probably gives Australian selection committee a few headaches now because the top order struck them beautifully, without getting a big score and when we have got the news Steve Smith is coming back into the team, it’s a great feeling.”
Last year Smith was also infamously felled by a Jofra Archer bouncer at Lord’s, and that knock caused him to miss the second innings of that Test and the next match.
On Friday first match against England, the left-arm seamer Mitchell Starc experienced some groin pain. However, he managed to complete his ten overs after slipping on the field.
Josh Hazlewood said, “Starc has a little bit sore but we’ll see how he pulls up and go from there.”
Australia has the chance to won the bilateral ODI series over England for the first time since 2015 as they lead up in 1-0. England had won 11 of their past 14 matches against Australia.
Image Source: Google