On the outskirts of Bengaluru, particularly where granite mining is expanding, scientists from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) have found deadly radioactive radon in the air and water. Radon particles that have been eaten have the potential to become stuck in the lungs and ultimately increase the risk of developing lung cancer. Experts assert that because uranium undergoes radium decay before becoming a chemically reactive atom, it spontaneously converts into radon through radioactive transition.
Sections of Bengaluru have radon levels of 1000 micrograms per litre, which is greater than the allowed limit of 30-60 grammes per litre, according to the researchers’ early observations. In light of this discovery, they have now given priority to research on radon in water. Researchers have discovered that uranium levels in some regions of the city’s outskirts can reach up to 8000 micrograms per litre, far exceeding the legal limit of 60 micrograms per litre. In Chikkaballapur, Kolar, and Chintamani, it fluctuates between 5000 and 6000 micrgrams per litre. The level of radon is being evaluated since it is a concern, according to Srinivasan.
Airborne radon is not a serious health hazard if the space is well ventilated. It shouldn’t accumulate indoors, according to Prof. R Srinivasan of the Divecha Centre for Climate Change (DCCC), IISc. While uranium’s presence affects the urinary tract and increases the risk of kidney cancer, radon’s presence in the air and water damages lung tissues.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?