The Red Fort is a historic fort in Old Delhi, Delhi, India that served as the Mughal Emperors’ principal residence. When Emperor Shah Jahan chose to relocate his capital from Agra to Delhi on May 12, 1638, he commissioned the building of the Red Fort. Under Shah Jahan, the fort marks the pinnacle of Mughal construction, combining Persianate palace building with Indian customs.During Nadir Shah’s conquest of the Mughal Empire in 1739, the fort was looted of its artwork and valuables. Following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the British dismantled the majority of the fort’s marble constructions. The defensive walls of the fort remained mostly uninjured, and the stronghold was afterwards utilised as a garrison.Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister, hoisted the Indian flag over the Lahori Gate on August 15, 1947. Every year on August 15th, the Prime Minister hoists the Indian tricolour flag at the fort’s main entrance and makes a nationally broadcast address from its ramparts. As part of the Red Fort Complex, the Red Fort was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2007.The fortress-palace was a focal point of Shahjahanabad, which is now known as Old Delhi. Aurangzeb, Shah Jahan’s successor, built the Moti Masjid (Pearl Mosque) to the emperor’s private quarters, building barbicans in front of the palace’s two major entrances to make the entry more convoluted.